Carnac - The Ruined Pylon

View of the ninth pylon of the temple complex at Karnak with two local men, one with bare arms, next to low walled enclosures where palm trees are being propagated. Karnak, near modern Luxor, is a large complex of religious buildings covering an area of over one hundred hectares. It consists of three major sacred precincts dedicated to Amun-Re (the largest of the three), Mut and Montu, but it also includes other structures built both inside and outside the various precincts. It was built and continually extended and embellished by Egyptian rulers from at least the Middle Kingdom (2055-1650 BC) until the Roman period (30 BC-AD 395) but most of its surviving structures date from the second half of the second millenium BC, resulting in Karnak being the largest and best-preserved temple complex of the New Kingdom (1550-1069 BC).
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Object Details

Carnac – The Ruined Pylon

Francis Frith

1857

Luxor

Albumen print

16.1 x 21.0 cm

Acquired by King Edward VII when Prince of Wales

Share