Dier-el-Medineh - Temple and rocks

Distant view of the temple complex of Hathor at Deir el-Medina at base of a steep rugged hillside. The image shows the pylon, the actual temple, and the remains of a high brick wall that formed the temple enclosure. The village of Deir el-Medina is a settlement on the west bank of the Nile, opposite Luxor, founded by Amenhotep III (1390-1352 BC) for the workmen who built the royal tombs in the Valley of the Kings during the New Kingdom. The site also includes tombs of some of the workmen and their family and a main temple. The temple, originally built by Amenhotep III, was almost completely rebuilt during the reign of Ptolomey IV (221-205 BC), long after the worker’s village had been deserted (around the end of the XI century BC). The present complex is primarily dedicated to Hathor, but the three sanctuaries in the actual temple are dedicated respectively to Amun-Sokar-Osiris, Hathor-Maat and Amun-Re-Osiris.

Object Details

Dier-el-Medineh – Temple and rocks


Francis Frith



Albumen print

16.1 x 21.0 cm

Acquired by King Edward VII when Prince of Wales