Among the ruins at Karnak 1862

The Temple of Amun, also known as the Precinct of Amun-Re, is situated at the heart of the vast Karnak Temple complex, begun in about 2000 BC and added to by successive pharaohs over hundreds of years. The photograph is signed, captioned and dated in the negative, ‘F Bedford Karnak’. The number in the Day & Son series is 33.

Object Details

In the Hall of Columns, Karnak 1862


Francis Bedford



Albumen print, mounted on card


23.0 x 29.0 cm

Acquired by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII), 1862