The Gate to the Temple of Luxor

The obelisk shown here was part of a pair that was split up in 1831 when the mate was brought from Egypt to Paris. When this drawing was made in Luxor in October 1836, the “missing” obelisk was being raised in the heart of the Place de la Concorde, where it still stands today. La Boure showed landscapes at the Paris Salons on a regular basis between 1827 and 1870, reflecting his extensive travels.

Object Details

The Gate to the Temple of Luxor

 Antoine-Xavier-Gabriel de Gazeau

1836

Drawings

Oil on paper, laid down on canvas

10 5/8 x 7 3/8 in. (27 x 18.8 cm)

 The Whitney Collection, Promised Gift of Wheelock Whitney III, and Purchase, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Charles S. McVeigh, by exchange, 2003
 
 

Share