The Propylon and portico [Medinet Habu, Thebes]

Thebes, on the west bank of the Nile, was a vast mortuary site for the rulers of the New Kingdom, 1550-1069 BC. Alongside the Valley of the Kings and Queens were several mortuary temples. One of the best preserved is the temple for Ramesses III at Medinet Habu. Many fine painted reliefs have survived, partly because the early Christians covered them when they converted the site into a church. The photograph is signed, captioned and dated in the negative, ‘F Bedford Medeenet Abou’. The number in the Day & Son series is 41.

Object Details

The Propylon and portico [Medinet Habu, Thebes]

Francis Bedford

1862

Luxor

Albumen print, mounted on card

24.0 x 29.0 cm

Acquired by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII), 1862

Share