Memnonium - the South Portico, Thebes [Osiride Columns, the Ramesseum, Thebes]

The Ramesseum was built by Ramesses II as a huge mortuary temple for himself. It was completed in around 1250 BC. The columns, once part of the temple, were statues of the pharaoh as Osiris, god of the underworld. This was appropriate for a mortuary temple, intended to serve as memory to the greatness of Ramesses for future generations. The photograph is signed, captioned and dated in the negative, ‘F Bedford Thebes’. 
 
 

Object Details

Memnonium – the South Portico, Thebes 

 

Francis Bedford

 
 

1862

Luxor

Albumen print, mounted on card

 

23.7 x 29.0 cm

Acquired by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII), 1862

 

Share