Propylon of the Temple of Luxor and obelisk

The temple was abandoned in the 3rd century AD and over time, became buried under silt and earth. A village and mosque were constructed on the site. While the village was removed in the 19th century, the mosque still remains to this day. Its minaret is visible in the photograph. The photograph is signed.

Object Details

Propylon of the Temple of Luxor and obelisk 

FRANCIS BEDFORD

1862

Luxor

Albumen print, mounted on card

24.0 x 29.1 cm

Acquired by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII), 1862

 

 
 

Share