Head from an Osiride Statue of Hatshepsut

This head was originally part of one of the Osiride figures carved in high relief in niches along the back wall of Hatshepsut’s temple at Deir el Bahri’s top terrace. Hatshepsut wears the Double Crown of Upper and Lower Egypt, implying that the head was taken from a figure in one of the terrace’s recesses. Another head, 31.3.163, was found in a niche on the southern side and wears the White Crown of Upper Egypt.

These Osiride figures were architectural highlights rather than independent statues, and they were carved from the same limestone slabs as the temple. The corners of the temple’s Amun shrine were adorned with four Osiride statues.

Object Details

Head from an Osiride Statue of Hatshepsut

New Kingdom

Dynasty 18, reign of Hatshepsut and Thutmose III

1479–1458 B.C.

 Egypt, Thebes, Deir el-Bahri, Jaw from “Hatshepsut Hole”/rest from Senenmut Quarry, MMA excavations, 1922–23/1926–28

Limestone, paint

 h. 126.5 cm (49 13/16 in); w. 34.9 cm (13 3/4 in); d. 59.4 cm (23 in)

The Metropolitan Museum of Art
 

Share